The Search Bar

Wednesday, January 11, 2012

"The Biggest Loser" is Dangerous; Here's Why

Everyone's seen this show. It's been on for years now. It's spawned more than it's fair share of products, spin-offs, and celebrities. I know some people who watch this show (certain family members) and I know how they view it; they see it and think this is the only way to do things. That this is THE way to lose weight.

People, I beg of you, do not believe that. I've hated this show for years. Before, it was merely because that being the fat slob I was I felt incredibly ashamed when watching this show. "If someone who weighs 400 pounds can get off their butts and lose weight, why can't I?" I would ask myself. I never got an answer and I just felt pissed every time I heard of the show.

Now, my reasons for hating the show have changed. I'm in the best health of my adult life (and the best health I've been in in easily 7-8 years) and I've done it without going to the unhealthy (and dangerous) extremes that people on "The Biggest Loser" do. These people starve themselves, dehydrate themselves, and generally go way to far just to make a number. They do this because they feel like they have to, otherwise they get voted off the show.

Do some research on the show folks. Most of the people who lose weight on the show by those extreme methods gain it back. Many of the people admit that the show helped develop habits that have been MORE harmful to them than what got them there in the first place.  Take a listen to an interview done by a previous contestant of the show, Kai Hibbard, and take the information to heart.

Listen Here

This show is not only dangerous to the people on it but to those who watch it. It gives a warped sense of what has to be done to lose weight and, in my opinion, sucks any motivation people have to lose weight away. "They do all that to lose weight? I can't do that..." I've thought on more than one occasion in the past about the show. I'm sure others have to.

But that's not the end all be all way to do it. "The Biggest Loser" is wrong. It's not the way to do it. It's harming people on the show and people who watch it. Either you lose motivation to lose weight or you try the extreme methods shown on the show and hurt yourself. Either way, the show needs to be stopped. If you watch it, I beg of you to stop. If you don't, I implore you to not start.

"The Biggest Loser" is dangerous and it needs to be put down. Permanently.

No comments:

Post a Comment